The words “Back to School” sound so great – no more “I’m bored” or “Drive me here, buy me that” – but at the same time “Back to School” carries its own chaos. Amidst checking off the school supply list, shopping for clothes, meeting new teachers, setting new schedules. Ah… Take a deep breath and follow these 8 simple tips for getting into the back to school groove.
- A healthy breakfast provides a solid foundation for the day. The more protein, the better. Try boiled eggs, yogurt, whole wheat bagels, peanut butter and bananas.
- Having a family calendar on the fridge or in a centralized location helps to keep track of when and where everyone needs to be. If it’s not on the calendar, it won’t happen. Each person (if they can write 😊) should be responsible for adding their activities to start learning the organizational skills that they need. Using a different color for each family member can be a fun and creative way to keep things clear.
- Sleep patterns are crucial for reaching peak performance starting with the first bell ring and maintaining it until the last. Consistent sleep is what everyone’s body needs to recharge and reset. The sooner you practice a healthy sleep pattern, the easier it becomes to make it a part of their routine. Good luck on this one. Stick to your guns. You’ve got this.
- There’s an App for that! That, meaning managing homework! Try out apps like iHomework or MyHomeWork to help your kids organize assignments. Or, if you’re more old fashion, let your kids choose a planner or a tool that they’re excited to use.
- Limit Screen Time. Yep! Setting the rules for screen time can be easy but enforcing them can be quite the challenge. Let your kids know what’s allowed and when.
- Create an after-school schedule – Allow time for snack, relaxation, play and study.
- Layout school clothes the night before. This will help eliminate wasted time in the morning, as well as a pile of clothes on the floor (that we all know will end up in the laundry again, still clean).
- Pack lunches the night before, too. Another great time saver. This can also help with your grocery list and wallet.
With these 8 back to school tips, your family will be back into a groove before you know it! So, take a deep breath (again) and relax – tell yourself you’ve got this, because you really do!